Gareth Parry has got involved in most forms of rock-climbing, and always at the highest level. He has excelled at sport, trad, big wall, and has always been a fixture on the competition circuit where he is currently most actively involved on the bouldering competition circuit, with some very impressive results. Gareth is a full-time climber, and along with long-time climbing partner Ian Vickers started the bouldering wall, BoulderUK.
- What’s the best thing that happened to you in the last twelve months?
Third place at World Cup in Birmingham
- What was you nickname at school?
- Where do you currently live?
- If you could have a second home anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- Do you believe in life after death?
- If you hadn’t discovered climbing – what would you be doing with your life?
- What would make you stop climbing?
- What is the world’s biggest problem?
- What’s climbing’s biggest problem?
In the UK a lack of quality new lines
- What is your biggest problem?
- Describe your perfect day?
Wake up in another country onsight something hard, eat a nice dinner, drink some wine, all the time being with some friends.
- What aspect of climbing do you find the most interesting?
- What single thing is the greatest obstacle between you and your climbing?
My body's limitations
- What are you most hopeless at?
Training on my own
- If you have/had children, do/would you encourage them to take the same risks in life that you did?
- If you were washed up on a desert island, and there was a crag on it – what crag would you like it to be?
- If there were 25 hours in the day, what would you do with the extra one?
- Who in your life has most inspired you?
- If climbing became more mainstream – would it be improved or harmed?
- If you could be any animal other than a human, what would you be?
A collie dog