The Alpinist from Marmot
PlanetFear have been consistently impressed with Marmot's technical range of climbing and mountaineering clothing, so it was with great interest that we took their flagship Alpinist jacket (given the 'does what it says on the tin' name for good reason) for a week's trashing in the Alps. A lot of outdoor clothing ends up on our reviews desk, some of it good, most of it average, and with the odd shocker thrown in here and there. Occasionally, we get excited when a product turns up that genuinely surprises us with its performance and quality, and the Alpinist falls into this category.
The first thing you'll notice about this jacket, beyond the striking red-and-black colour scheme, is how much thought has gone in to the cut: as soon as you pull it on, you notice that it's been designed with meticulous attention to the needs of alpine climbers and ski-mountaineers. The back is just the right length - but not too long - to wear a harness comfortably over it. The arms, too, are just the right length, and terminate in beautifully styled ergonomic cuffs, that extend further on the top of the sleeve than the base (which gives the arms greater movement). The laser-drilled zip pockets and hood vents are another fine touch; the zips work effortlessly and seem to repel all the snow you throw at them. The detachable powder skirt feature will be greatly appreciated by off piste skiers. However, many top-end alpine shells have all these features, too. So what's so special about this one?
The primary reason for our enthusiasm for the Alpinist is the range of its functionality: it is as easy and comfortable to wear for casual use as it is for full-blown alpine climbing, or for charging down glaciers and couloirs. In short, well done Marmot - you've designed one of the best alpine shells we've ever used.
The Alpinist on test high on Le Toule glacier, Mont Blanc, Italy.
Back view of the Alpinist
* Angel-Wing Movement™
* Designed to Fit Over Fleece or Softshells
* DriClime® Lined Chin Guard Moisture Wicking Fabric Protects Your Face From the Zipper
* Elastic Draw Cord Hem For Adjustability in Serious Weather
* ERG Hood Adjustment System
* Gale-force Hood with Laminated Wire Brim
* GORE-TEX® PRO Shell Gore-Tex PRO Shell
* Helmet Compatible
* Integrated Laser-Drilled Pocket Backing for Enhanced Breathability
* Internal Zip Mesh Storage Pocket
* Laser Drilled Hood Vents for Increase Ventilation
* Laser Drilled Pack Pockets™ with Water Resistant Zippers Laser Drilled Pack Pockets with Water Resistant Zippers
* Micro-Stitched and 100% Seam Taped for maximum waterproof protection
* PitZips™ with Water Resistant Zippers PitZips with W/R Zippers
* Sleeve Pocket with Water-Resistant Zipper Sleeve Pocket with W/R Zipper
* Zip-off Powder Skirt Allows Removal of Powder Skirt When Not Needed
For more on their complete range, go to www.marmot.com
There are currently no comments on this article.